Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Just Another Day at the Office…

When I was a kid, my dad would sometimes have to drag my sister and me out of bed in the morning and bring us into work with him. Maybe my mom was busy that day or out of town and he couldn’t find anyone else to watch us hooligans. Either way, from time to time, Madison and I would find ourselves in my father’s office; an incredible exercise for the imagination, pulling eight hours of excitement out of typewriters, fax machines, photocopiers, office chairs, filing cabinets and all of the fun stuff that exists in the office world.

The day would begin with my sister and I surrounded by stacks of dot matrix printer paper and a slew of highlighters and pens and pencils and paper clips and anything else that we could fiddle with and not cause too much trouble. My dad would generally be in his office all day long with clients; the same with all the other lawyers in the very small building on Dalhousie St.

They were fools to think that the pens and paper would last us for very long.

You see, my sister and I are only one year apart, and first class troublemakers to boot. We were holy terrors blessed with hippie parents who let us wear 50 barrettes in our hair at any given time and bathing suits and feather boas all summer long. They let us wear what we wanted and do what we wanted and made every attempt to let our creative juices ebb and flow like a Hawaiian Punch tidal wave.

The first and most pressing matter to a child after they are done scribbling through a spectrum of highlighters is, “How long until I can get my hands and face on that photocopier?” Which ultimately leads to, “How long until my dad’s secretary leaves for lunch and I can get my bare bum on that photocopier?” These are the questions that plague the brain of an office-bound five year old. Once Darlene had left for lunch, we knew that there were only a few precious moments until my dad would be making his way out of his office and asking us what we wanted to do for lunch. In those brief though blissful moments of laughter, Madison and I would take hilarious copies of our backsides and later use them to draw inappropriate yet equally hilarious pictures of our bums eating people or excreting rainbows. We would squeal with delight if one of us drew a particularly funny picture of our bum squishing someone or something. Ahh, the joys of a day at the office.

Once we had finished lunch and the photocopies had lost their near legendary luster, we moved on to the next most wonderful toy at the office: the office chair – wheels necessary. If you recall, early 90s office terrain more often than not was made of that hard plastic spread which was placed beneath chairs and desks. For what purpose, I know not. But I do know that it made for some excellent gliding and sliding; you could dash and zip faster on that hard plastic than on any other indoor landscape I can think of – even linoleum. Madison and I would play some mean games of bumper chairs, later having to conceal some fairly serious injuries from our mom and dad. We would each choose our chair; trying to find the one with the most padding or the best lubricated wheels. We would make our decisions based on both performance and protection. Old chairs often had wily wheels that would change directions out of nowhere, causing you to zig or zag out of control. Others had no arms, offering no protection to our sides or legs. It was a fairly lengthy and thoughtful process picking the best chair to pummel your sister with.

Days at the office were so much fun that it would definitely be worth creating an office playground in your very own home, and you can find everything you need at Cymax.com! Oodles of fantastic filing cabinets, perfect for hoisting yourself atop a photocopy machine. A wealth of office chairs to choose from, some with wheels, some without, but all perfect for a little sister bashing. From computer desks to office panels to conference table, Cymax has everything you need to have fun at the office again.

No comments: