Thursday, May 1, 2008

Progressively Less Perplexing

During my late teens, I couldn’t for the life of me figure out the guys (and likely we all know the type) who buy a very ordinary, often used car and then proceed to spend a large portion of their dishwasher or pump jockey earnings on window tinting, pinstriping, windshield decals (make sure everyone knows that’s a Mazda!), mirror dice (bizarre still) etc. etc. The big stereos I could dig–yet I would look at my dilapidated turd-brown 78 civic with a massive dent in the side but with a drum set tucked into the back and a female in the front and think “they just don’t get it.”

Now for those waiting for the token anatomy reference, it’s not forthcoming. I never bought into the inferiority complex theory, but I couldn’t figure out the logic in spending one’s hard-earned money on frivolous expenditures. To each his or her own, no debate, but back then it just seemed absurd to me to purchase non-necessities.

However, since then maturity and the prolonged influence of the missus have given me more insight into the value of decoration and stylistic heightening. It’s still not my thing, as attested by as recently as the late ‘90s my TV standing on milk crates, but I’ve come to have a greater understanding of it.

While on the subject of furniture and housing, my take on headboards back then is a good example. I purchased my first double bed from friends of my parents and it was simply a frame, mattress and box spring. All I needed for 50$. If I remember correctly, my mother suggested I take a similarly wood-finished headboard in the same size that had been collecting dust in their basement. The offer, however thoughtful, was refused in short order; why add weight and bulk to the moves that were occurring painfully frequently every six months or so in those days?

Some time later an individual told me that she felt more secure sleeping under a headboard, and that it added a sense of permanence to the bedroom. Mostly in one ear and out the other, but it got me to thinking. Maybe there was some measure of function to furnishing pieces I had, to that point, considered wholly unnecessary.

Accordingly, for those who have only recently had the same semi-revelation, I happily recommend stopping by moreheadboards.com, a most convenient on-line resource for augmenting your bed’s aesthetic and rejuvenative value. From twin headboards to full headboards to the always popular queen headboards and king headboards, you’re sure to find what best suits your needs. Further, if you’re not as décor clueless as I was (sort of still am) you can match your interior or tastes with a wood, metal, upholstered or wrought iron headboard, or any one of many different types available on the site. Should function be part of the equation, moreheadboards.com similarly offers an impressive selection of bookcase headboards and those that feature headboard reading lamps. Finally, if you’re still driving a dilapidated late ‘70s vehicle, there are more than a few discount headboards available there as well.

If, however, you are so fortunate as to have that aforementioned vehicle frequently include a drum set and a female, don’t let anyone suggest your shortcomings. Those who get it – get it.

No comments: