Friday, May 9, 2008

Some Early Mother's Day Thoughts

It’s an interesting way of categorizing the memories I have of my child, but children’s furniture can make you think of and remember so many things. When I see a crib, I recall the excitement of my husband and me putting it together. Making plans for our little one, dreaming (!) of all the good things to come and double checking the screws to make sure that they were tight enough.

A few years later, we were putting together a toddler bed late at night, trying to make it a surprise for the little monkey’s (said with great affection and a vague reference to his stellar climbing abilities) birthday. That and we figured that he couldn't jump on it when we were putting it together if he was sleeping.

Then he started school and outgrew his bed and we bought a 'Big Boy' bed. For anyone without children, this is a twin bed. After a couple of years, we realized we had bought the wrong bed and had to buy a bunk bed so he could have friends over. Actually, from the time my son was two until he was ten we would have been better off with a trampoline but we weren't that crazy.

When he turned sixteen, we were informed that bunk beds aren't cool. The only reason we fell for that one and bought the double bed was because he didn't fit the bunk beds properly by then. The funny thing is he is away at school now, and we had to buy him a single bed for the room he is renting. My husband and I just had to laugh at that. Isn't it strange how looking at beds can make you remember so much.

Happy Mother's Day from all of us at Cymax Stores.

No comments: