Tuesday, August 26, 2008

When the Puck Drops


So it's the end of August and with it sooner than later, the end of summer as well. No more barbeques on the patio, no more dates on the beach, and no more driving with the top down. Yes, around this time I always seem to have a certain feeling of sadness to befall me. I don’t know what it is specifically, but the sun always seems to have a cheery, happy-go-lucky effect on me. And when I wake up only to see and hear the rain (as it constantly does where I live), a depression-like mode seems to kick in. However, I remind myself that it aint all bad; after all, with the start of a new fall season brings about the one constant love that lasts with me for the next 8 months: NHL HOCKEY!!!


I understand the regular season of the greatest sport known to man (at least in my opinion) doesn’t start until October, but I can't help but get excited about the prospect of a new season and a new hope that my favourite team (the Vancouver Canucks) might finally win Lord Stanley's Cup! But the NHL season isn't quite complete with one important component: the hockey pool!


Since the NHL lockout a few years back, I've been involved in at least 3 or 4 hockey pools, but still have yet to win one. I'm not sure why that is exactly. I'm quite familiar with the rules of the game, what teams are playoffs contenders, and which players are going to 'rack em up'. I even play a fair amount of hockey as well; and although I'm no Alex Ovechkin (who'd be my first overall pick if I had the chance) I'm decent enough to show people I'm not a hockey newbie.


So why can't I win these hockey pools? I have the knowledge of the game and know how to play. Having said that, I should be a lock for at least 2nd prize, which is usually a small cut of total pot. But alas, in the last 4 years, all I've seen is the basement of the pool and the ridicule of my friends for some of the questionable picks I've made in the past (ie – P.J. Axelson of the Boston Bruins….until this day, I still wonder what made me pick him, but what's done is done, and that pick was made at least a couple years back, meaning it's time to forget about past mistakes).


But this year I think I've found my secret weapon. And no, I'm not talking about sleeper picks (although I do have a couple up my sleeve this year, who I won't mention here). Rather Cymax Stores shall be the X-Factor that'll bring me glory. This year I think I'll be holding the draft at my place and I have the perfect idea to start making smart and intelligent picks: MoreConferenceTables.com. Here I can finally get me and my friends a nice, comfortable and organized place for our draft. No more yelling across the room for us! However, if they want the casual and often soothing ambiance of a living room, then I'm going to need some fine and dandy sofas, coffee tables, and possibly some bean bags to fully accommodate my guests, all of whom I'll be laughing at come the NHL Playoffs in late April and when they fork over the dough.


Yes, summer may soon be coming to a close. But as long as there's hockey, then I say let the rain fall down. Especially since this year I feel it in my blood that I'm destined to win my hockey pools, and my beloved Canucks will win the Stanley Cup. GO CANUCKS GO! Roberto Luongo for the win!!!!

No comments: