Thursday, September 4, 2008

Don't Know What You Got

Quite often, we hear the term “a sense of accomplishment” applied to any one of hundreds of instances where persons feel a sense of gratification in observing the fruits of their labor. From the student whose first-place ribbon in Science Fair was worth every studious minute to the activist whose campaigning lead to legislative changes, we all have times where we feel pleasantly redeemed for the effort we’ve put in.

I believe, more indirectly, that many of us increase our sense of personal well-being by deriving a sense of accomplishment out of everyday tasks. Nothing so menial as brushing your teeth, say, but generally in changing the state of our surroundings and / or belongings to be more attuned to the lifestyle we wish to be surrounded by. It could be something as simple as vacuuming the living room or folding laundry, but for most it requires a little more elbow grease, if you will, and a greater depth of visual redemption.

Like most boys, I believe my father had me pegged to be his lawn-mowing successor from the very day I was born. Sure enough, by the age of 12 or so he was prepping me for my ascension to family groundskeeper. At first I disliked it. However, after a time I began to savor the moment when I had finished, standing there admiring the symmetrical mower lines and light-green sheen of the freshly shorn grass. I very quickly became much less begrudging as I walked to the shed each time Pops would say “Time to mow’er again, son.” I went through the same progression when it came to washing my car by hand; after a period of time I came to routinely bask in the cleanliness of my vehicle for a good five minutes before taking Armor-All to the tires.

For the past six years, city life and the pursuit of bigger and better things has necessitated an apartment life for me. With the exception of a visit home this past July, I haven’t cut a lawn in the better part of five plus years ( & rest assured I relished it wholeheartedly) as there’s never been so much as a blade of vegetation on any of my decks or balconies. Oh how I’d love to prime the 2.5 on that Toro one more time, and rip at that cord. Similarly, my new condo offers no means of washing my car by hand and, quite honestly, the drive-through doesn’t cut it for me one bit and the wand-wash pales in comparison.

Little things like this, where you can genuinely feel a sense of accomplishment in everyday tasks, interestingly do fall into the adage of “You don’t know what you’ve got ‘till it’s gone.” I had no idea I would miss hand-washing my car this much, and I was almost giddy cutting my parents grass this past summer.

Those of you who are fortunate enough to have lawns, driveways and exterior taps of your own - I urge you to cherish each day you can feel good about completing domestic chores. Further, don’t lose track of the extent to which the proper accessories and elements of your lawn and patio can heighten the effect that a freshly-mowed lawn can have. Just because this summer is ending doesn’t mean you need to wait for the retail stores to re-stock their shelves with these products. With the online shopping revolution, you’re only a click away from Cymax Stores and their impressive and competitively-priced selection of outdoor products.

A Uniflame Portable Outdoor Heater on your patio table will allow you to comfortably soak up your landscaping prowess long after the sunshine begins to wane. An Oakland Living Chiminea / Firepit will keep the flames off your perfectly manicured greens, sure to be appreciated by marshmallow-gorging youngsters during those annual backyard campouts. Consider an Alfresco fountain as a tasteful addition to your definitively weed-free flower beds. Finally, at the end of the season, you can reward your trusty lawnmower with a Classic Accessories Lawn Mower cover for that long winter in the shed.

Jump at the chance to cut the lawn kids. Trust me.

No comments: