Thursday, October 2, 2008

A TUNE, A TIME, AND A PLACE

Most people genuinely enjoy music, and to be reminded of an era or specific time or place in your past by a particular song is very common. For most us, it’s a fond nostalgic flashback to a time in our influential youth that takes us back to good times long gone. Every time I hear Ratt’s Round and Round, I recollect the grade 5 talent show when I was Bobby Blotzer behind a cardboard and ice cream tub drum set. It’s a poignant memory for me because shortly thereafter I began taking percussion lessons and developed a much-loved lifelong hobby.


I’m not the Hi-Fi connoisseur some of my friends are, but at the same time I’m not going to buy an Ultrasonic CD player from Wal-Mart. I own a nice mid-range JVC 5-Disc player with matching 300W amp, Energy bookshelf speakers and a pair of quality Sony full-size headphones for when the Mrs. doesn’t want to hear my rock n’ roll tastes. Much like my drum set and mountain bike, I’m fortunate to have purchased these belongings before I took on a mortgage and financing a new car.


How I miss the freedom of expenditure I had not so many years ago. I’m sure many music lovers around the world are in the same boat these days, yet like me we all find the bucks to add to our CD collections once or twice a month. I just picked up Rush’s double greatest hits CD to fill out a few classic tunes I don’t have, and every drummer should have as much Neil Peart as possible.


Eventually, I plan on getting a more compact metal component shelf for my stereo, and I have no intention of leaving the comforts of home to do so. Audio-Video-Furniture.com has a wide selection of smaller audio shelves at competitive prices, it’s super convenient to order online with my credit card and they offer free ground shipping to any address in the continental USA. There’s a pair of them that I’ve got my eye on right now. The OmniMount G-303 Stellar Audio Tower/Stand is inexpensive, space conscious and I could keep my PlayStation on the top shelf. The Tech-Craft Monaco Series Black Audio Shelf is a appealing too at an unbeatable $187.00 right now and includes 4 shelves. All in good time, but at the present the cost of living in the city is leaving me decidedly thin.


As the mighty War sang, “I’m – Living in the Red”

No comments: