Friday, February 13, 2009

The Secret Life of Nesting Tables

The nesting tables were shipped to me from my hometown, along with some other items I claimed, after my father sold the house my sister and I grew up in. I wanted these particular items because each one I had chosen reminded me in some way of my mother and represented to me the comfortable home she created and recreated throughout the years.


I also chose the nested tables because, after working at Cymax Stores combined with living in an apartment, the value of multipurpose or multifunctional furniture pieces has become clearly evident to me. The three tables, of varying heights, sit one underneath the other and can be used as a single unit or separated and used as accent tables or end tables. The handy thing about these tables is that, when entertaining, they can be moved around the room to accommodate those not sitting next to a surface upon which they can put a drink or a plate.


The wood nesting tables resided for a good portion of their lives in the living room of my childhood home. Even though they had been moved about the room from one place to another over the years, I don’t ever remember a time when I didn’t pass by them on my way to somewhere else. I have walked passed them so many times, even if they weren’t in my possession, I could describe them to you by heart. They have bowed fronts with routed edges, fluted legs, arrow feet and a fluted, three-sided stretcher. How then could I not notice that the feet of the two smaller tables never touched the ground?


Perfect size for a telephone table, ever since they arrived at my apartment, they stand against the wall next to the big armchair. The top nesting table holds the phone, a funny pen holder and a small basket of assorted note pads collected over the years from stocking stuffers and promotional handouts. But one evening I came home from work late, and because a favorite TV show of mine was about to start, I broke my own rule and ate dinner in front of the television. I grabbed one of the nested tables, placed it in front of the couch, put a placemat on it and sat down to dinner. After I had eaten, I cleared everything away. That’s when the trouble started.


When I tried to put the table back, it had me totally stumped. Like the Powell Brown Cherry Two Piece Nested Accent Tables, I thought it would simply slide in underneath the two other tables. But it didn’t. Something seemed to stop it from slipping back into place. Sometime later, I finally figured it out. Working on the theory that something was blocking the way, I removed the middle nesting table and turned it upside only to find grooves on the inside edges. The nesting tables should be slotted not slid into place. Hence the reason for the legs of the two smaller tables floating above, rather than resting on, the floor.


I experienced a weird sensation. I sat on the floor, just staring; these tables had been so much a fabric of my life, they were now revealing something new to me, after all these years? The more I stared, the more I appreciated the simple elegance of the design of these nest tables. All three tables can be lifted up and moved as one without any slewing around or unnecessary juggling. Ingenious! I returned to the couch and what was left of my show.


But all the time, I wondered what other secrets my mother’s nesting tables were keeping from me.


No comments: