Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dining Chairs are Handy for Short People

I’m short and I never feel shorter than when I am in my kitchen preparing a meal or putting away dishes. Especially when I’m cooking for company because I need pots and other items I don’t use regularly, I seem to be constantly reaching for things that are out of reach. I do own a step stool, but it’s conveniently tucked away in the walk-in hall closet. My favorite weapon of choice in the Battle of the Less Tall is the dining chair that is closest to the kitchen.

The chair is a wood ladder back with an upholstered seat in some mystery fabric I’d be hard pressed to identify. The dining chair, along with its two other companions, was a hand-me-down from my grandmother. While they are serviceable (and have given me my money’s worth), they don’t match my dining table and I am working on replacing them. In the meantime, however, they, well at least the one closest to the kitchen, is a practical stand-in for the step stool I’m too busy to fetch.

Not just relegated for use in the kitchen, I also utilize the side dining chair to get into my silverware chest, which sits on top of my china cabinet in the dining room. I keep searching for a more convenient place to put it, but there doesn’t seem to be any other spot for it. To access the cutlery I use when I’m expecting guests, I need my trusty dining chair.

My kitchen cabinets don’t go all the way up to the ceiling; while providing a handy storage space for my cookbooks and other sundries, it does need to be cleaned from time to time. The step stool is too short. Even when standing on it, I still am unable to comfortably sit on the counter in order to stand up on it to wipe down the top of the cabinets. My multipurpose brown dining chair is a must-have accomplice in my cleaning adventure.

I’m sure I’m not the only short person on the planet that hijacks a dining chair as a stand-in for a step stool. But if you are looking for new dining chairs to be used in the more conventional manner, you’ll find a wide selection to choose from at More Dining Chairs.

No comments: