Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I Need a New Bathroom Medicine Cabinet

It doesn't look nearly as bad or as rusted as the white metal one in the first apartment that my girlfriend and I rented after graduating from university. But I don't want to ring in the New Year with the medicine cabinet that is in my current bathroom. The outside still gets a passing grade, but inside is a different story: the shelves are starting to warp; one shelf had to be removed because a bracket went missing and the bottom left-hand corner of the cabinet sports an unidentified stain that I just cannot get out.

A new medicine cabinet is also a good way to give your bathroom a quick and inexpensive makeover. Bathroom mirror cabinets, like a medicine cabinet with a mirror specifically chosen to match or complement the bathroom vanity, add functionality and style to the most used room in your home.

I don't want just another pretty face in the bathroom! In order for a medicine cabinet to be both chic and useful, I will need to think about the features I would like it to have. I like to keep some medicinal lotions that come in tallish tubes or bottles, so a cabinet that has adjustable shelves would be important to me. And because I'd feel obligated to clean them all the time, the shelves should be made of wood rather than glass. I would also like to be able to DIY; I'll be selecting a the type of cabinet that can be easily hung on the wall instead of a recessed style of medicine cabinet. I don't have young children using the bathroom, but if you do, perhaps the medicine cabinet you choose for your bathroom should have a lock.

Now that I have a good idea of what I want in a bathroom medicine cabinet, I'm ready to go shopping for one.

- E.L.

No comments: