Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Cool School: Are You Ready for Your Zack Attack?

“Goodnight Mom, goodnight Dad,” I yelled from the top of the stairs. My little Pomeranian Jessie came bounding up the stairs with me. In unison, we yawned and crawled into my comfy, warm bed. I scratched Jessie’s little ears and snuggled in next to her.

Tonight is my last night at home. Tomorrow, I begin the college years.

Suddenly, I awoke to an alarm ringing violently in my ear. Then, as suddenly as it began, it stopped. I looked at the clock. My flight to California left at noon, and it was almost 10! “Phew,” I said. “It’s alright ‘cause I’m saved by the bell!”

My new university was everything I had hoped it would be. I have a quirky roommate, an understanding, though suspiciously old Resident Advisor and the dreamiest hunk ever lives just down the hall. I didn’t catch his name, but I think its Zack or Mack or something like that.

In my first class, I spot the boy. He’s a bit of a smart-ass, a bit of a prankster, and I think I’m in love. That shaggy blond hair, that curious attempt at facial hair, that cell phone the size of a shoe box . . . If only there was a restaurant that I could meet him at.

The professor dismisses us and we walk slowly back to our dorm room, me a good ten feet behind him. Suddenly, he turns around and stares at me as if we’ve known each other our whole lives. I feel anxious and excited all at once.

“Do you want to come to my room?” he asks me. “I’m Zack.”

I do, I do, I do! A curly-haired boy with clown pants interrupts us, but Zack blows him off.

He opens the door, and I can’t believe his dorm room. It’s the size of my parent’s house and the furniture is unbelievable! A brand new computer desk, a cool new futon and a loft-style bed, plus there was a beefy guy in a tank top walking around.

“Wow!” I said. “Your dorm room is amazing! Mine’s much smaller and not as cool.” I felt sad and was sure that my lame apartment would be a major turn off to Zack.

“I got it all at moredormfurniture.com,” said Zack undressing me with his eyes. “They even delivered it for free.”

His strapping roommate went to wrestling practice, and we were all alone. I knew this was my big chance. I ignored the poster of a cheerleader on his wall, even though she looked suspiciously like a girl I’d seen him with earlier. I threw caution to the wind and went for it. Our lips were millimeters apart and . . .

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

“What? Huh? Jessie?” I had no idea what was happening or where I was. I heard my parents talking down the hall, and recognized, with utmost sadness, the boring décor of my bedroom.

“It was only a dream, Jessie,” I said with a sigh.

One thing’s for sure. I’m going to moredormfurniture.com before I leave today. I’ve got to have the coolest room at school. You never know who I might meet. Wink.

No comments: