Thursday, July 10, 2008

Wherever They May Have Roamed: If Boxes or Plush Beavers Could Talk

Two years back, I waited patiently for several boxes of personal items that out of necessity trailed me back to Canada by sea over the course of two months. Eventually, they arrived and I quickly opened them to see whether or not the long voyage had taken any toll on my stuff.

I was greeted by an old friend as I tore open the box. Thumper, a drumstick and snare drum wielding Beaver that was given to me in my early teens, is the sole doll I’ve ever had any affinity for and the only one I’ve held on to. Hawaiian Garfield and his straw hat and lei fell by the wayside somewhere. The entire Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle collection I amassed at the fair with my exceptional proficiency at Whack-a-Mole was bequeathed to my cousin a long time ago. I’ll keep Thumper until the seams retain his Styrofoam innards no longer.

I don’t remember the hectic last days in Seoul when I was packing up everything I deemed to be non-essential upon my immediate return, but Thumper must’ve been one of the last cuts as he was right at the top of the box. I half thought to myself What did you see on the high seas, old friend? He responded wi
th Bubble wrap you fool.

So I moved to the cardboard box that looked understandably more haggard than when I had seen it last in the Gapo-dong post office, but realized its memories would have been only slightly better. Maybe something like a to-the-death duel in the darkness between two unfortunate insects that made a fateful decision at the pier that day, but likely it would have nothing more.

I guess it’s o
nly the sea containers themselves that would tell tales of bow-surfing dolphins, amazing sunsets and exotic ports of call. Fortunately, the speed with which home shopping can see your purchase cross town or continent means it won’t have the same time to amass tales as those that make global jumps. However, an increasingly smaller world does come at a price when it comes to bringing these items to your door; that was, until now.

Until July 15th, Cymax Stores is offering free shipping on all purchases and accordingly there’s no better time to make the decision to purchase one of the thousands of top-quality and competitively priced items offered at cymaxstores.com. When that much-anticipated package arrives at your door, maybe you’ll be inclined to wonder what fortunes or misfortunes it has endured on its way.

Maybe your Linon Santa Fe TV / VCR cabinet will somehow exude tales of stowaway squirrels that made a made dash for freedom only to perish of heat stroke at a truck stop in Barstow. One caught a ride with two agitated fellows in a cream El Dorado convertible heading west to Vegas, only to wilt away at the end of an ether binge in the back of a Great White Whale.

Perhaps as the one of the kids nods off on an X-Rocker Bean Bag Chair he or she will be led to dream of the appreciation of being the only one to escape unscathed from a highway roll-over or embankment slide that left the other passengers as write-offs.

Similarly, as you take a seat in your new Stanley 4 Seasons Comput
er Chair you may find it strange as you can’t help but think of a Waterboy-esque (R.I.P. Bob Ackles Go LIONS!) story where the floor model made it to the big time.

Online shopping is a breeze at Cymax, and considering you’re almost sure to find something to your liking, there’s no better time than right now to order it and see what stories it has from the road or elsewhere.

No comments: