Monday, September 27, 2010

A recent Graduate’s adventures into dining room furnishing


When I finished school the thought of moving back home and into my parent’s basement was not very enticing. Instead I scrolled the internet for the perfect pad to compliment my newly graduated status. The endless search resulted in a great place right in the heart of the city and I couldn’t have been any happier.

I took possession of the place half way through the month. The place was sparsely furnished with the previous tenants broken cast offs and panic set in. How was I going to afford to be able to furnish my place? How could the previous tenants have left all of this stuff behind? I pulled myself together, used some elbow grease and cleaned the place until everything sparkled.

Then I once again turned to the internet, I found myself a nice chair some couches and a table or two. Slowly the place was transforming into my home. I painted the walls a soft green, figuring, hey it’s a colour that is neutral enough so that if I did move out of my amazing new home I would be less likely to have to paint the walls back to white if I ever moved out.

Now that I had the living room organized, it was time to turn my attention to the dining room. I had a very specific vision for my dining table sets I wanted something solid, elegant and understated. That would compliment the nick knacks I had spread around my apartment, but wouldn’t overshadow everything else. I scrounged vintage stores, big furniture stores, and the trusty internet for my dining table. I eventually found the perfect table. Elated I spent even more time trying to find the perfect position for my brand new piece of furniture. Once in place I realized I hadn’t bought any chairs, but that’s a story for another day.

-RL

No comments: