Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Practicality of an Exercise Bike

I am what you would call a “gym rat”. I love going to the gym and taking the cardio classes where I’m motivated to keep moving and push myself by my instructor and the entire class. My roommate Becca does not enjoy the gym at all – a point she’s made quite clear to me, every time I invite her to come with me using a guest past. In fact, ever since we moved in together last July, she hasn’t stopped talking about getting either a recumbent exercise bike or an upright exercise bike to put in the corner of our spacious living room (near the TV, of course). Yesterday, I finally got to the bottom of why she prefers working out at home with the exercise bike to the gym:

1. Exercise bike workouts are lower impact.
Becca has a stress fracture in her shin from running, so she can no longer do that as a form of exercise. Also, she cannot swim, so that is out of the question as well.

2. She’s in control of her workout schedule.
It’s true, I’m often dashing to a muscle conditioning or dance class – forced to arrange my personal schedule around these gym classes. Becca, on the other hand, prefers to have more control over when she can and can’t work out due to the irregular hours of her job as a photographer.

3. There are no gyms within walking distance of our apartment.
Becca refuses to walk more than 5 minutes to get to a gym and since there are none near us, she’d rather have workout equipment set up at our place.


There you have it – the main reasons why Becca wants an exercise bike so badly. I have to admit, she does make some good points. I suppose the next step would be to browse online to fine a bike that we actually both agree on!

-M

No comments: