Monday, October 18, 2010

Making your bedroom beautiful with a platform bed and an upholstered headboard.

I can’t believe that my new apartment is almost fully furnished. The dining room looks fantastic and now it’s time to turn my attention to the mattress on the floor in my room surrounded by piles of clothing. Looking around at my possessions strewn around the room I realized that I would need more bedroom furniture then I had anticipated.

First thing I needed was to get the mattress of the floor. I turned to my trusty online sources for research. Once again the choice was overwhelming. Did I want to buy a simple frame and an elaborate headboard or did I want to go completely over the top with a big four poster bed, or did I want something elegant and understated like a platform bed.



I took a step back from the research and realized that my primary concern should be preparing the room to be in furnishing shape. I made my bed and folded my clothes.
Next step was to tackle the floors, now that there was nothing on them; I took my broom and dustpan and swept every inch of the room. In retrospect it probably would have been a good idea to do this BEFORE I moved all of my possessions in. I also realized I hadn’t thought to paint the walls a different color then the boring white already applied. Now faced with even more things to decide on I panicked slightly. Could I really live with the white walls? Would my friends be kind enough to help out with another round of painting? I flipped through my book of paint swatches halfheartedly, and then I came across this absolutely stunning and serene blue. With renewed enthusiasm for painting, I dug out my paint trays and brushes and went on a quick mission to the paint store.

A few days later my room was painted; now back to the search for a bed. I decided that the best option for me would be to purchase a queen size platform bed which would fit my mattress like a glove. Not only that but I wouldn’t be sleeping on the floor. I chose one in deep mahogany that is feminine yet noticeable when first walking into the room. To compliment the pretty blue walls and super comfortable bed, I decided that I wanted an upholstered headboard to lean up against. I found one in a blue almost the same shade as my walls in silk.

I cannot wait to sleep in my newly decorated (and spotless clean) room.

-RL

No comments: