Thursday, October 7, 2010

My journeys in finding the perfect dining room chair

When I left off I was talking about my adventures into dining room decorations. I had found the perfect dining table. My walls were painted the prettiest green anyone could imagine. Pieces were falling into place for my very first grown up apartment.

I stepped back to admire my stunning living space and realized there was something missing. How could I forget something as important as dining chairs? Where were my guests going to sit when they came over for delicious dinner parties?

I once again turned to my trusty sources. The internet gave me two well loved chairs that needed a bit of love to revive them to their former glory. The hunt was still on to complete my set of fabulous
dining room chairs. I hunted and hunted. Frustrated I put the search on hold for a pair to compliment the ones sitting in my apartment.



Instead I focused on how I was going to refurnish these stately chairs. Many different things came to mind. I could paint them, stain them. Cover them completely in fabric, endless possibilities. One thing was for certain, the well worn dated pattern on the seats were the first thing that would need to go.
In the end I decided the best and easiest thing to do would be to paint the chairs a solid color and cover the seats with a cute fabric. I really didn’t want to have a green overload, also, thinking long term for future places of residence. I had to choose my paint and fabric carefully.

I ended up painting the chairs this gorgeous deep brown, almost as rich as a dark chocolate bar. The seats got carefully removed, the old fabric hastily discarded. I also bought new cushioning for the inside of the seat, and settled on this thick upholstery fabric with an intricate leaf pattern. I get weepy thinking about how stunning these chairs turned out.

However my work was far from over, I still had to find two more chairs. One weekend I decided to take a drive as far out of the city as I could, in this small town I found the missing pieces in my dream dining room. These two chairs were almost identical to the ones I had already found and fixed up. Overwhelmed and overjoyed I carefully packed them into my car. I stopped to get a piece of pie from the stand on the side of the road and turned around to head back into the city. As I write this I look into my dining room and can’t believe that this dining room set is mine. I have lots more to do in my place, and I cannot wait to share more of my adventures into the adult world.

-RL

No comments: