Thursday, December 30, 2010

Rethinking the Coat Rack

I had a green coat rack in the hallway of my apartment back east that had been hand-crafted by my grandfather. I guess over the years as the wood dried out and joints loosened, it started to lean, becoming unstable, especially if I wasn't paying attention to where I was placing clothes on hooks and everything ended up on the same side. When I finally made the decision to send it off in style to coat rack heaven, I didn't realize what a gap it would leave in my hallway.

Yes, I became a little sentimental when I disposed of it, but I had no intention of replacing it. I suppose I wrote off coat racks as "old fashioned" because every one I personally encountered was in a home of my friends' parents, grandparents and aunts and was typically traditional in style. I (foolishly) thought my hall closet would be more than adequate, but after a few months of never being able to find my purse; draping my coat and scarf on the backs of chairs and hanging miscellaneous articles of clothing on doorknobs, I started to think that maybe I should reconsider.


A coat rack is a versatile piece of hall furniture that can be dressed up or left casual. A coat rack or hall tree that makes a statement can create visual interest. Especially if it's the first thing a visitor sees when entering your home, it can make the space welcoming and inviting. Coat racks made of brass, wrought iron, rattan or polished wood will add flair and sophistication to you hallway or foyer. It doesn't have to stay in the hallway either. A coat rack is a good choice for anywhere you need a little organization for outerwear, clothes and accesories like a bedroom, mudroom or back entryway.

Think they're just a stand with hooks and a bit of style? Coat racks can include features such as a revolving section to make access to clothes easier, an umbrella compartment or a set of lower hooks for children. If you don't have room for a freestanding coat rack, wall mounted versions are also alvailable.

It's not handmade but I did eventually get a wood one in a transitional style with brass hooks. It greets me as soon as I walk through the door. No more searching for a hanger in the closet; backs of chairs are no longer a tempting resting place.

- E.L.

No comments: